See Photos of the Recently Opened Schwarzman College
Explore the recently opened Schwarzman College, Schwarzman Scholars’ dedicated state-of-the-art academic and residential building, designed by the world-renowned firm Robert A.M. Stern Architects. The building is one of the most advanced higher-education facilities in the world and one of the first LEED Gold-certified academic buildings in China.
1. The College is designed to harmonize Eastern and Western principles while creating an elegant, recognizable contribution to Tsinghua University’s campus.
2. The organization of the building around two courtyards—one interior to the building and one facing the street—recalls both the traditional Oxford and Cambridge Colleges and the courtyard houses of China.
3. Overlooking the entry courtyard, the wood-paneled library serves as a quiet study area. The technology help desk is staffed with e-librarians who can assist with research, journal access, and tech support.
4. The central courtyard and overlooking pergola and terrace creates visual connections across the college, bringing daylight to the lower floors and serving as an outdoor space for social gatherings.
5. The 230-seat Dalio Auditorium is equipped with lecture-capture, simulcast, and simultaneous translation capabilities. Scholars can attend concerts and lectures with leading guest lecturers from around the world.
6. The tiered, 52-seat case study classrooms are designed with a horseshoe shape to support an interactive discussion-based curriculum.
7. Overlooking the entry courtyard, the dining hall serves both Chinese and Western cuisine. Dining alcoves and a private dining room provide an intimate setting for groups of students.
8. The scholars live in single rooms with private bathrooms, organized in groups of eight that share a common lounge.
9. Each common lounge includes a kitchenette and team project workspace complete with data connected flat panel monitor for collaboration.
10. The 1,900 square foot Fitness Center includes equipment for cardio, strength training, and stretching.
11. The triple-height forum with balconies on two levels serves as a social space for informal conversations, large gatherings and high-profile guest lectures.
12. The building is LEED-Gold certified and designed with dual-air filtration and state-of-the-art water treatment systems.