- Undergraduate degree or first degree from an accredited college or university or its equivalent.
Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to successfully complete all degree requirements before August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it is important for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
- Age Requirement.
Candidates must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of August 1 of their Schwarzman Scholars enrollment year.
- English language proficiency.
Applicants must demonstrate strong English skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. This requirement is waived for applicants who studied in English at the post-secondary level (undergraduate and/or graduate) for at least two years. We will accept the following English language proficiency exams with minimum scores:
- TOEFL iBT: minimum score 100
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: minimum score 100
- TOEFL PBT: minimum score 600
- IELTS Academic: minimum score 7
- IELTS Indicator: minimum score 7
As many testing centers have temporarily closed due to COVID-19, this year we will accept English language proficiency exam score reports with expiry year 2019.
For applicants using the China Application System, refer to guidelines on the Schwarzman College Admissions page.
The following items are not part of minimum eligibility requirements:
- Marital status. Married applicants may apply and will be at no disadvantage in the application process. Spouses/partners may accompany Schwarzman Scholars to Beijing, but Scholars are expected to live in the dormitory and participate fully in the program like other students. Spouses/partners may not live in the dormitory, and no additional funding will be provided to support spouses/partners living off-campus.
- There are no citizenship or nationality requirements.
- Grade point average/class rank/pre-requisites. Academic excellence is a requirement for successful applicants, but there is no minimum GPA or class rank required to apply. Applicants are expected to have demonstrated excellence in their academic studies, and the most competitive candidates are among the top students in their graduating class. There are no course prerequisites for applicants to the program, although some individual classes at Tsinghua University may have prerequisites.
Schwarzman Scholars does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job or course of study requirements.