Schwarzman College at Tsinghua University is recruiting for the Tencent Visiting Faculty Chair in Technology. This full-time position will be given to one individual with a term of one semester to two years.
Successful applicants will be fairly compensated for teaching and other contributions based on their length of residence at the College. A modest amount of research funding will be included. A faculty apartment at Schwarzman College at Tsinghua University will be provided during the period of residence.
About The Organization
Designed to inspire the next generation of global leaders, the Schwarzman Scholars program is the most significant of its kind since the Rhodes Trust was founded in 1902. With nearly $600 million raised so far, it is also the single largest philanthropic effort ever undertaken in China by largely international donors.
The 100-200 scholars chosen annually for this highly selective program work towards a one-year Master’s Degree in Global Affairs at Tsinghua University in Beijing — one of China’s most prestigious universities. As individuals who want to have a positive impact on the world, Schwarzman Scholars are selected based on their academic credentials, extracurricular interests, and leadership potential.
- The Chair shall work full-time at Tsinghua University and teach at Schwarzman College, and shall have no other full time obligations outside of Tsinghua University.
- We are seeking expert scholars in contemporary global issues related to new technologies and their impact on global affairs. We are seeking excellent teachers and scholars with an interdisciplinary focus who are able to take a leave of absence from their current academic positions for at least one semester.
- The Visiting Chair will be expected to teach two eight-week module courses, or one eight-week module course plus an additional equivalent activity, in the program. The Visiting Chair may be asked to speak at one or more appropriate and mutually convenient company or college events.
- In addition to teaching up to two courses per academic semester, the Chair shall also be responsible for advising students on Capstone projects and writing, and actively participating in academic and community activities of Schwarzman College.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
The Tencent Visiting Faculty Chair in Technology should have expertise in the following content areas: cybersecurity, technology policy, technology entrepreneurship, artificial intelligence governance, big data, issues related to data privacy, Fintech, blockchain, and other emerging technologies and their impact on global affairs. Applicants with expertise in these fields are especially encouraged to apply.
The following qualifications and credentials will be considered in appointing the Chair:
- Prominent scholar and recognized expert with a strong record of teaching, research, and publications at the associate or full professor level (Distinguished practitioners with relevant expertise will also be considered);
- For candidates who are Chinese citizens currently based in China, significant time spent outside of China, such as studying and working;
- Fluency in English (for purposes of teaching, research, and communications);
- A doctoral degree in relevant areas of science and technology or public policy. International experience and knowledge, as well as experience working in or on China, are helpful. Educational background in the United States and/or Europe is preferred.
To apply, please send an application cover letter, a curriculum vitae (including a list of publications and courses taught), and the names and contact information of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Tencent Visiting Faculty Chair in Technology 2023-2024) before the deadline of November 20, 2022.